Thursday, July 30, 2009


Helen O'Toole
Dreams, Clouds and Hazelwoods
2008
Oil on Canvas
90" x 55"


Yesterday I had my first studio visit from my mentor, Helen O'Toole. Helen teaches painting in the UW MFA program, and is represented by Linda Hodges in Seattle. She is brilliant.

What struck me right away in our time together, was her sensitivity to me as an artist, specifically a female artist, in a transitional moment of life. Her critique of my work resonated with me, and was completely in step with the dominant voices from my AIB experience, thus far. I have so much really exciting work to do, and am very pleased to be so inspired by my first mentor!

One week from today is First Thursday in downtown Seattle. Join me in stopping by the Linda Hodges Gallery and asking to view Helen's work - a definite treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment